Monday, August 31, 2009

J. Peterman rocks!

I must admit, I've been out of touch.

Could've sworn that The J. Peterman Co. went out of business several years ago.

Apparently, I was wrong. And I'm quite happy about that.

My first J. Peterman pieces were purchased in the Los Angeles area (I believe it was Camarillo) in 2000. The store had a going-out-of-business sale, and I got some classic pieces, including the "J. Peterman shirt," a banded-collar, four-button garment with a long tail. I was stunned to find one my size at the time, because much of the merchandise was already sold.

Nine years later, I encountered a couple who are avid J. Peterman fans (seemingly before the TV show "Seinfeld" thrusted the company into the pop culture spotlight) told me about its Web site.

And there I was, enthralled by the catalog copy, which includes a very colorful story before getting down to the item's specs. Whoever's writing J. Peterman's copy is clearly gifted. Small wonder there's a fan page on Facebook.

This time around, I ordered four pieces: the Hemingway cap, a faithful replica of what the author wore; an all-cotton, tan Peaked Lapel Jacket, an all-cotton Kinsale Sark, and a pair of Ghurka Shorts.

All four of these pieces were on sale. And they sell out pretty quickly, so it pays to pay attention to this site.

It's worth it.

No comments: