Sunday, February 21, 2010

Outlet deal of the year

I realize it's only the second month of 2010, but I doubt that a deal like this will happen again for a good while to come. Wanna hear it? Here it goes:

On a recent drive to the factory outlet center in San Marcos, Texas, I go through my usual walk past the storefronts of the entire center. (Takes about two hours. Anyway ...) The last time I went to San Marcos, I found a pair of Edward Green shoes at the Saks outlet for 70 percent off.

This time, I go the Polo outlet and I see many markdowns in menswear. About 10 minutes into browsing, I see a brown pinstripe, 100 percent linen suit that retailed for $600. I figure the suit was 75 percent off, which would make it $150.

I get the sales associate to do a price check. He says it's $37.49.

Are you kiddin' me?

Another sales associate rings it up at checkout.

$37.49. $40.58 after tax.

I couldn't believe it. Though something was wrong with the suit. So we all inspect it. Yep, first quality.

Gladly paid for it and didn't look back. Didn't buy anything else while at the San Marcos outlets. This deal that I got was too good. About 95 percent off? Whoa. Cool.

All that's left is to go to the tailor, which will cost more than the suit.

That's OK. I'll look like a million bucks after the suit is cut to fit me. That's quite a profit.

I'll take it.

No comments: